OK, that’s it… I can’t ignore it anymore.
We are now having WEEKLY conversations with companies that have seen a devastating decline in Rank, Traffic and Enquiries after having a lovely looking new website designed for them.
The story is remarkably similar every time:
1) Client starts to think maybe their website is looking a bit tired
2) They have a great conversation with an agency, marketing consultant, or freelancer about creating a gorgeous new website
3) The project goes relatively well, and they’re all delighted with the new look and excited to launch
4) The website goes live to great fanfare, even some campaigns etc
5) Some weeks go by, and the initial spike in traffic from the launch is a distant memory. Someone then realises that the phones have stopped ringing. Suddenly we’re getting less traffic, and … hang on a minute, when was the last time we got a website enquiry?? Let’s check our Rank Position… “Oh Cr*p! We’re now on Page 6 for this term that we used to be No.1 for!!”. How did this happen!?
Why Is This Happening?
SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is being forgotten. That’s why. Basics and fundamentals are being thrown out with the old website’s bath water!
In a typical threesome of Marketing Consultant, Client and Web Designer, SEO is slipping through the net on a regular basis. The excitement of a sexy new website, and the “user experience”, is drowning out the need for a proven migration process, protection of existing traffic and rank position, and what we would consider the absolute basics!
Only this morning I had a conversation with a potential client who’s previous website ranked Page 1 of Google for some very important search terms, and was previously gaining them 3 to 4 good quality enquiries per week. Since their new lovely looking website went live in October, their traffic has fallen off of a cliff, they’ve stopped getting any enquiries at all, and they are now somewhere around Page 6 of the Google results for all their key terms. DISASTER!
Now that company is faced with the daunting task of talking to hundreds of “SEO experts”, many promising guarantees of Page 1 position etc, to try to unpick the mess and climb back to where they were with the old website.
This has to stop. Micro and Small Businesses absolutely rely on protecting their small slice of google enquiries, and losing them completely can be disastrous.
If you are in any of the following situations, please get in touch with us before you go any further:
You are a marketing consultant about to work on a new website project for a client
You are a heavily design-biased agency about to embark on a new website project for a client
You are a design-biased freelancer about to embark on a new website project for a client
You are a business owner about to commission a new website!
STOP! And think… are we about to take a devastating step backwards?
Leave your name and email and we will continue to deliver you insights into Digital Marketing: